Thursday 21 August 2008

Director's chair

Director's chair by Eloise O'Hare
Director's chair by Eloise O'Hare
These photos show a refreshed director’s chair I found in a skip on my road last week - another one of those things people just dump because it needs a little repair work.

I redesigned the chair with Robert in mind and upholstered it using fabric samples given to me by a friend who is an interior designer. I actually had to do the whole thing twice. The first time I thought I had done a brilliant job, until Robert tried it. There was a loud sound of ripping fabric and he fell right through it! Life seems to be one big circus round here.

The second time I made it all so strong an elephant can sit on it. But Robert will not sit on it again. I have done all that I can to convince him that it’s safe now, but giving him the chair is out of the question.

I have made some strange chairs in the past, such as a cuddle chair decorated with arms and hands. My most famous one is the Hairy Deckchair, made with the hair of the band member from Killar, who were having a hair cut while I was in a radical upholstering mood.

I did plan to make a sofa bed and chaise longue, but unfortunately I don’t have enough space for them in my mouse sized studio. I’m beginning to feel the urge to have my own gallery/studio.

No comments: